Sunday, May 15, 2011

From Scratch- Spring Cupcakes

I love to bake!!  I love to eat what I bake too but I really try not too!!  It seems it goes straight to my waistline!!

This cupcake recipe is one my mom used to make and I believe her mother also made them. We used to use them for strawberry shortcake but they are also great frosted with a buttercream icing!!

Vanilla Cupcakes

1/2 cup butter, soft
1 cup sugar
2 eggs,separated
1/2 cup milk
1 1/2 cups cake flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract

Using a mixer, cream sugar and butter together.  Add egg yolks and beat well.  Add milk and vanilla and mix well.  Sift together flour, salt and baking powder.  Add to wet ingredients and mix well.  Beat egg whites until stiff peaks form and add to batter mixing well.  Bake 375 degrees in greased muffin cups or use cupcake papers, for 12 minutes or until toothpick inserted in cupcake center comes out clean.

Makes 12 cupcakes.

I like to frost with buttercream icing and then decorate.

Buttercream Icing

3 cups powdered sugar
1/3 cup vegetable shortening
1/4 cup milk
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

Mix powdered sugar and shortening in med bowl with electric mixer on low.  Stir in milk and vanilla until smooth.  Stir in additional milk a few drops at a time until smooth and spreadable.  Note:  you may also use part shortening and part butter, for the 1/3 cup shortening.

Here they are............







Enjoy!!!!!


 Kari

Linked to:
Newbie party

2 comments:

  1. Saw you on the newbie party and wanted to pop in. I'm your newest follower. Your cupcakes look great! I've never tried a buttercream with shortening in it and am really interested in giving it a try! Would love it if you checked me out sometime!

    http://pinchofthisthatandtheother.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I could go for one of these right about now! Thanks for sharing with my newbie party.

    ReplyDelete