I set out to painting it. Here is what it looked like apart with some primer on it.
I decided to use it in our cottage. The color scheme for the living room is pink and green. I used Sherwin Williams "rosalie" which is a very pale pink. I then added some distress ink( my new favorite way to distress anything- not just paper) with a stencil brush. My hubby then put it all back together for me and tightened up the mirror itself. And here it is hanging in our cottage all 25 lbs of it....... It really is heavy!!!!
Sorry about the hands and camera shot......I just wanted to show the detail at the top of the mirror!!
I just LOVE it!!!